Friday, June 18, 2010

We actually did it! Bill C-268 PASSES!




Those of you who know me know I have been assisting with Bill C-268 since the dawn of time. I mean, we have been thrown so many obstacles and hurdles and massive bricks that I was beginning to doubt our work and dedication to standing up for the oppressed.

We've written articles, commented on articles, screamed for equality, jumped for equality - I mean, I was starting to loose hope. I couldn't imagine ANOTHER summer of waiting for the House to resume in order for our Bill to be heard. I just couldn't bear the thought of another 3 months with no action.

Which was once deemed the 2010 Olympic Bill, C-268 has been the salvation these women need in order to stand up to their captors. Knowing that these women and children believe they are victims of these horrid actions is the most important thing to me. I can proudly stand here and say that Canada now has a law that assures significant and harsh penalties for those who traffic innocent women and children. Traffickers will NOT have the opportunity to walk right out of jail after being convicted of human trafficking crimes.

From now on, human traffickers will be PROSECUTED and they will be SENTENCED for their crimes. This modern day slavery needs to cease immediately and because of all your assistance, we are finally on the path to a brighter more prosperous future.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your support of Bill C-268. Whether you wrote letters or emails to your local MPs/Senators or even just supported the Bill from afar - many thanks. My heart is literally bursting with joy right now.


We finally did it.

I'd especially like to thank MP Joy Smith for her continued assistance and perseverance with Bill C-268. No matter what her colleagues may have said or the anguish she may have felt, she continuously stood up for what she believed in and I truly appreciate it. It is women like this that inspire me and force me to keep fighting for those who are silenced.

This is only the beginning. The Future Group is committed to combating human trafficking until every child and woman is protected and returned to their home.

Many thanks for all your words of encouragement and assistance. While I appreciate it more than you know, those oppressed appreciate it even more!






0 comments:

Post a Comment