Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Friends, they mean the most.

Each phase of life brings a new cycle of friends, whether you want to admit it or not.


High school




College




Work




Grad School




Through it all, you find friends with similar interests that are engaging in a goal close to your own. Unfortunately, at the end of that phase - you sometimes drift apart from those friends.


I had a best friend in college and I thought we would never part. We did everything together. I held her hand through all the tough stuff and glorified her through her triumphs. With that friendship, I felt like I had to prove myself worthy to be friends with her and that isn't fair. She would do things to me that she knew would crush me, but I was expected to just smile and laugh it off. I lost my entire group of stability because she didn't get along with my friends and that's not a friendship to me. Just like with boys, it's not what I deserved.

Time eventually split us apart and I regret segregating myself to such a small circle of friends during such an evolutionary period for me. That's not to say that I didn't have other amazing friends in college, I most certainly did - I just took them for granted. I never respected their friendship as much as I should have and I'm at fault for that. These girls were consistently supportive and mentored me when my best friend would selfishly turn her back (which happened more times than I can count). My last year in college, I was ditched on my birthday after the dinner portion when everyone went to do their own thing with their own 'cooler new' friends. It was the final straw for me. I came home to my roommate (who happened to be part of those AMAZING 7R girls I neglected) and she just completely understood. No questions asked, no hatred harboured - she was just there for me, unconditionally. It was then that I realized what a fool I had been. I was trying SO hard to be friends with someone when friendship shouldn't take work. Relationships should foster on their own and when they become stressful, you need to get rid of them.Breaking up with a friend is worse than breaking up with a boy. There's a lot more clothes involved and it just hurts to know that they can no longer be a part of your life. But, sometimes it's for the best. You just never know what you might find on the other side. Me? I found a pot of gold.
Now, I feel refreshed and reflective. As I'm moving on to yet another stage of my life, I can't help but gush at these amazing girls I took for granted so long ago. Trust me, I will never make that mistake again. Girls, I wish I could turn back time and spend every quality minute with you those four years provided. I worked far too much in college and completely ignored the entire experience. Since then, I have discovered that those 7R girls are the most amazing sincere courageous and brave young ladies I have ever met. I was trying to grow up too fast and missed out on some spectacular memories. You girls mean the world to me. No matter where we are, just know that I am always on your side and only a phone call away. Your support? It means the most to me and I don't know what I would do without you. Missing you more than you know.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh Becs, you are amazing. Never once did I ever feel taken for granted. I heart you!

TeiraMarie said...

Oh Becs! My "Manager"! My fellow Stars lover. And my wonderful roommate! I'm so happy we had that year living together. You are an amazing girl and don't ever forget it! Love you long time - just the way you are!

M.G.T@SoSheDid said...

We love you so much Becs! You are a gem- never forget it. 7R bonds us for life! xox

Post a Comment