Thursday, April 22, 2010

dun DUN dun

You can all breathe a sigh of relief now. I have found my wedding dress.


Wait, what? Let me explain.

Before my phone starts ringing like I'm popular or something, I should preface this by saying I am not engaged or getting married or even really going to anyone's wedding any time soon. This dress hasn't been purchased (though I am incredibly tempted) and unless someone proposes incredibly soon, it won't be fitted for a few more months (read years...) yet.


I'm not the type of girl who has spent her entire life dreaming of this luscious style-tastic wedding. I've talked about it here & there and it was even discussed in detail once, but I've never sat down and sketched out what that day would look like (for clarification - I still haven't). For the past few months, I've been watching far too many marathons of Say Yes to the Dress. And every time I watch a new episode, I cringe with fear that someday - that poor innocent girl being gawked at by her family - could be me.



Growing up, my mom would elegantly describe in detail what my wedding would look like. There would be a huge ceremony in the Cathedral, followed by a presentation of all the best foods & wine Toronto has to offer. My idea of a wedding? Well, it would involve me + my poor groom and a hill with a lot of goats. Apparently, I watched too much the Sound of Music growing up.



Needless to say, I didn't think of it much until recently. All those god-awful episodes of Say Yes to the Dress have made me start truly thinking about what I would wear on that hill with goats. I'm not a girl who is going to stand up there in white. Uh-uh, not doing it. If it weren't for SJP already stealing my thunder, I would have worn a little black dress with exaggerated lace. But, I'll let her take that style crown. Instead, I want to wear something memorable yet classy. My style is urban chic, thus the dress would have to reflect that.



For hours, all I could come up with were things I wouldn't wear. I won't do taffeta or princess bows. No bedazzled bodices or ruffles. Steering clear of sleeves and long trains. See? This process was already complicated and I wasn't even engaged yet - gosh, I'm glad I started early. I knew I wanted to wear a golden taupe colour, something that really strikes the sunlight right before it gets dark (also determined I'm having an evening wedding, in the Fall to match the dress- I'm on top of it now...slave to fashion, right here).



Lucky for me, my daily indulgence FabSugar is doing a wedding season bonanza this month. Each day, they showcase a variety of couture gowns and answer any and all wedding questions (just in case any of you who are ACTUALLY getting married need help). I thought for sure I would fall in heart with a Marchesa dress because let's be honest, who doesn't love Marchesa? Georgina Chapman eloquently designs the most breathtaking gowns I've ever seen. The subtle touches of feathered ruffles and lace always grab my attention. Every time I see a Marchesa gown on the red carpet, I fall more and more in love. So, when I started seriously searching for a gown I figured I would look no further than tried and true Marchesa.



Wrong. All wrong. While the Marchesa dresses were beautiful, there wasn't one that screamed "pick me or die an unfashionable death.." So, my search continued. I finally stumbled upon some haute couture designs from the 2011 wedding season. Gracing the runways of Paris, there was one particular designer that caught my attention. Her name was Anna Maier from the Ulla-Maija collection. While I didn't fall in love with the dress I saw first, there was just something about her designs that drew me in. It made my inner Rachel Zoe jump for joy. A little bit more searching and BAM. Found it. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow was my dress. For reals, it's gold.





Now disclaimer: I will actually be wearing this dress so any boys reading this blog who are considering throwing in an offer for marriage STOP READING NOW. We can negotiate the marriage contracts later....



http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/runway/designer/ullamaija/detail/230568?offset=13

All together now - GORGEOUS. In the words of the great Zoe, "Bananas. I die."

So, that's one less thing I have to worry about now. I actually feel really girly just thinking about it. My mom has even approved of the dress, which means I won't have to be a victim of the Say Yes to the Dress public scrutiny. Score: 1 - Becky Kleinfields - 0.

Annnd this has nothing to do with the blog entry or my hypothetical wedding, but I had the most life-changing salad for lunch today. Toss It up. All the rage for us Hill kids. Decided to BBM Nick all the details because it just made that much of a difference in my day. Strawbs, blueberries, portabello mushrooms, almonds, craisins, bean sprouts, iceberg lettuce, roasted tomatoes, red pepper, lightly glazed shrimp, chipotle dressing on the side. I am dying just thinking about it. I want ANOTHER!

0 comments:

Post a Comment