Friday, April 23, 2010

Lesson of the Day

Today's lesson of the day: I'm Canadian.


Let me explain. Most of my friends are American or Canadians going to an American school. I've never really truly identified with Canadian culture because frankly, Canada has no culture. I love how diverse this country is, but you can't really feel the patriotism like you do down South. When people ask where I'm from, I just say Canada. Americans always tell me I don't sound Canadian or dress like a Canadian or even act like a Canadian.

Um, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

Canadians, on the other hand, think I might be as Canuck as you can get.

While I may not add an eh to the end of every sentence, I am DEFINITELY Canadian. Case in point - my crazed almost psychotic love of hockey. Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats watching a game with a pint of Molsons. During regular season, I watch hockey highlights if I can't catch the game, but I don't obsess. I keep track of conference standings and try to watch at least one game a week. Playoffs are a different story. First round consists of me watching a game a night (2 games when the Habs and Canucks play). It's ridiculous how obsessed I am. Last night, I watched the Sens go into triple OT (yes, triple OT...insane) and screamed at the top of my lungs when they finally put 'er in the back of the net. This morning, tickets went on sale for the Sens game tomorrow night. I could NOT pass up the chance to see the boys in action (plus get quality friendship bonding time with Crosby).

Crosby, if you're reading this - I love you. Please marry me.

It doesn't get more Canadian than that. This is hockey country after all. The girls joke that I have hockey boy radar, which is true. I can spot hockey boys a mile away. I've only ever dated hockey boys (except for one boy and clearly that didn't work out...) and will only ever date hockey boys. I hold their bags, go to all their games. I'm the perfect puck bunny. But, I'm also the type of puck bunny who gets violently aggressive at the games. Not a quality I want to pass onto my hypothetical French Canadian child Yannick Dani.

But, that's not the only thing Canadian about me. I have other patriotic tendencies, like my love for Tim Horton's. XL one milk 2 sweeteners. Doesn't get much better than that (especially at early morning hockey games *wink wink*). All life dilemmas are best solved over a family pack of sour cream glazed timbits, especially at four in the morning.

I use Via Rail to travel between Montreal and Ottawa. That's pretty Canadian of me.


Also, I look good in plaid flannel shirts (and I have an odd collection of them), which is clearly the most important Canadian outfit. Merci beaucoup Artizia for providing me with an endless supply of ridiculously overpriced flannel shirts. I wear uggs all year round (what? my feet get cold), live in the nations capital and can name all provinces and capitals at rapid speed. I cottage in the summer, and cabin in the winter. I make a pretty delicious maple sucker when it gets cold out and blast Great Big Sea and Metric on a daily basis. My foods of choice consist of pate chinois, poutine, and lunettes. Did I mention that I was bilingual? Mais oui, je suis canadien.

So while I may have incorporated y'all into my vocab, don't be confused. You can take the girl out of Canada, but you can't take Canada out of the girl.


Here are a few things I love about this great nation:

1. Molson and Hockey. The fact that Molsons now owns a hockey team is a sweet sweet victory
2. We have public healthcare.
3. We have two official languages and a leader who is required to speak both
4. Smarties. Enough said.
5. We have ridiculously cheap tuition
6. Skiing in the winter, boating in the summer. Mont Tremblant has both.
7. Social programs are unsurpassed
8. It is cool to grow a beard in the Spring (i.e. playoffs)
9. Early Thanksgiving. America, you should think about it.
10. We invented the Blackberry. Thanks RIM
11. One less down in football
12. Hudson's Bay Company (or the Bay to us Canucks)
13. Spring Break in Cuba
14. Degrassi High anyone (Snake, I love youuuu)?
15. Canadian Tire. Has everything you need, including Smarties.
16. Sorels, though I just started wearing them not that they made those cute ones for 2010
17. Victoria, BC. Prettiest city ever. Hands down.
18. Montreal bagels
19. Roughriders. Watermelon hats.
20. Canada Am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment