Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cheers to Old Friendships and New Friendships


It's my birfday, yo!

Well, not technically, but close enough. And as sad as I was to be by myself this weekend, it actually turned out a lot better than expected. I tried to stay incredibly positive all weekend and it worked! On Friday, the girls left for Austin and I was pretty bummed I had to stay home. But, the decided to come back early and drive back to Dallas Saturday evening which was really nice of them.

On Friday night, the boys offered to take me out and I gladly accepted. We started off heading to Oktoberfest in Addison (which was seriously the size of Stampede - I was amazed such a small Texan town could hold such an amazingly large event). From beer to bratwursts and everything in between, it was beyond fantastic. There was cotton candy and ferris wheels and everything I could imagine for my birthday. I didn't get home till two in the morning, that's how amazing it was. I have never laughed that hard in my life or even danced that hard. The moves I was making on the dance floor would rival Michael Jackson. I even broke out a moonwalk or two. What can I say? MJ brings out the best in me. After a long night of dancing and trying to stay hydrated because it was so flipping hot outside, I drove the boys home and tucked myself into bed.

Saturday, I spent the day watching my carpet get replaced and running errands. Cleaned the apartment and spent the afternoon holed up in the library sporting my sweet Gators headband and knee highs. (Go Gators!!) Saturday evening, the girls made a speedy return from Austin and we spent the first part of the evening catching up. It's amazing what can happen in 24 hours when we're away from each other. I updated them on the shenanigans and dance moves from the night before, while they swapped tales of sketchy hippie bars and large men jumping onto the roof of their car. After filling each other in on the previous day's adventures, we headed over to the boys place to start planning our night of trouble.

Well, here in the South they take football very important so we spent the better part of an hour watching football highlights since the boys napped through most of the games that day. After catching up on the Vols loss (Go Gators!!) and the triumph of UA, we headed out to Blackfriar's - the local pub we frequent. For some reason, everyone in Dallas had the same idea as us and after five minutes in Blackfriar's, we could barely breathe. We quickly ninja'd our way to the exit and saw an open patio across the street that called our name. Our group quickly expanded and again, I enjoyed a night of pure laughter. From golf cart taxis to Chuck from Kentuck, it was a fantastic night. The girls & I tried to head out early so we could get some rest before the big game today. Of course, that didn't happen but at least we tried. After making sure the boys got home safely, we gathered for a little pow-wow to discuss game day. The only conclusion we made is that starbucks was a must considering we were only going to get 5 hours of sleep.

Bright and early this morning, I popped out of bed and headed for the shower. Game Day was finally here. After a few traffic problems and a massive line at Starbucks, we were Arlington bound. Now, I've been told this stadium was huge and I thought I would be prepared. But, we drove up and I couldn't even put into words how I was feeling. It was this sudden rush of pride and competition. Absolutely amazing. I got goosebumps watching all the Cowboys fans tailgate and rush into the stadium for kickoff. The music, the anthems, the BBQs - it was something I can't even describe to you. I definitely recommend a trip South for this experience alone. Although the Cowboy didn't win, I can definitely say it was probably one of the best days of my life. I am SO glad I brought those girlies with me. They loved every minute of it. We were cheering and jumping out of our seats. Watching Miles Austin smile at us from hundreds of feet below was pretty spectacular too. Once I find my camera cord, I will post pictures.

Theme of this weekend: positivity. Was it how it was supposed to be? Absolutely not. But, that doesn't mean it wasn't amazing. I'm learning to make the best of what I'm given. I'm a tad of a control freak (read a lot of a control freak) so having things not go as planned really bothers me. But, this weekend was filled with laughter and smiles which was exactly what I needed. I also re-evaluated some friendships this weekend. It needs to be a time of selfishness and positivity for me right now. I can't be brought down by any negativity and I'm learning to realize that. I've also learnt that silence really says it all. I can't be everything to everyone and that's okay sometimes. It's going to take some time, but I'll get the hang of things. The constant support of my true blues and 7R crew means the world. You girls are one of a kind.

Miss and love you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment