Saturday, September 18, 2010

texas.

I thought I'd share a list of all the things I love about Texas so that you become so infatuated, you have no choice but to visit me. Trust me, it's amazing.

1. Uptown & West Village

The trendy cute neighborhood in Dallas is the perfect location for singles, families and everyone in between. Quaint restaurants, fancy lounges, and unique boutiques - it really is a little piece of home. It is one of the most well-designed urban settlements I've ever seen. No need for cars or cabs, you practically walk out your door and into a plethora of restaurants, cafes, salons, and bars.

http://www.uptowndallas.net/Home.aspx


2. Manny's

Texas is known for their tex-mex cuisine. It's absolutely delicious and out of this world. From queso to margs to enchiladas, I love it all. It's my little guilty pleasure. On Friday, I tried out the most amazingly delicious tex-mex restaurant. Manny's is located in West Village and is a quaint old house that was turned into this surreal dining experience. It's a favorite of most Dallas natives and now I know why. Their patio looks out into West Village and is strung with colorful lights to make you feel as if you're in Mexico! And their margs? Well, let's just say one is MORE than enough.

http://www.mannysuptown.com/


3. Yogilicious

This fro yo haven (or yogi as the girls like to call it) is exactly what I was looking for when I moved south. In Virginia Beach, I was an avid fan of Skinny Dip and was petrified I wasn't going to find a similar substitute. But, yogi is the perfect sub-in. Supplying delicious NSA vanilla fro yo, they also have fun flavors like avocado tart and red velvet cake. All non-fat, all delicious.

http://www.yogi-licious.com/


4. Sonic

Now, this isn't a Texas thing but more of a US thing. Gosh, do I love Happy Hour at Sonic. No, not that kind of Happy Hour. Between 3 and 5, Sonic offers half price sodas and a Route 44 Diet Dr. Pepper is the perfect study mate. Small ice cubes, lots of liquid - I normally can't finish a full one before I leave the library.

http://www.sonicdrivein.com/home.jsp;jsessionid=A0F35C9B4A4A2E7C8A9F422F27CDF363.sonic-prod


5. Sweet Tea

Whether from Chick-fil-a or McDonald's, it is one of the most delicious things of all time. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, a local will take me home with them and I get homemade sweet tea. Even BETTER! I can't really describe what it is, other than actual tea brewed and then chilled - with lots of flavor. It's the real reason I'm down South, lets be serious.

p to the s. Paula Deen is my idol, well in another life.

http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/view2/sweetened_tea_with_simple_syrup/


6. Urban Taco

A Texas trademark, Urban Taco brings you the best tex-mex food with a more modern flare. I love their Uptown location - well, mostly their sangria and spicy ahi tuna salad. Yums. Their patio is beautiful and is the perfect place to sit out after a long day of work & school. A definite must for anyone who visits me.

http://www.urban-taco.com/


7. North Dallas Tollway

This road is heaven, no seriously. I live 3 mins from the Tollway and can hop on and head directly downtown within 15 minutes. Yes, you have to pay - but, I've gotten creative with the exits I get off at and the toll fees involved. Forget taken any side roads or inner highways. They take forever, crowded with cars, and turn regular freeways into parking lots. I prefer my North Dallas Tollway. Yep yep.


8. SMU

I had to add my school because I've fallen in love. I don't mind spending hours upon hours on campus because it's so beautiful and always filled with school spirit. The campus stretches for acres and acres and everyone who attends SMU is there because they worked hard to attend the school of their choice. From tailgating before the games or skipping along the Boulevard, this university screams Southern Pride and I couldn't have asked for a better learning environment.

www.smu.edu



9. Addison

At first, I was skeptical living so far away from downtown Dallas. I mean, I work downtown and I play downtown and go to school only a few minutes from Uptown - in University Park, so it just didn't seem practical to live so far away, but boy was I wrong. Everything about this town screams urban chic. It's fantastic. Quaint bistros and vibrant restaurants, I find that all my favorite Uptown hangouts have an Addison location. It also has the smaller town favorites that I love, like Sonic and Chick-fil-a, which you can't find within the downtown core. I highly recommend Addison for any new Dallas transplants, highly recommend.

http://www.addisontexas.net/


10. Dallas Farmers Market

Okay, side note - I haven't been yet, but that doesn't mean I can't praise it. I've driven past and heard such great things, I will definitely be there this weekend. With the freshest products, all the local farmers reach out to the urban block by locating the market in the heart of downtown. From fresh peaches to local grown corn, it's quite the find. I can't wait to go this weekend.

http://www.dallasfarmersmarket.org/index.html




0 comments:

Post a Comment